When Was the Last Time That Your Cat or Dog Visited the Vet?
Messages about lost or escaped pets are frequent posts on neighborhood social media sites. Both owners of pets who are missing their cat or dog and the people who find a stray animal are quick to post information that will lead to the return of a pet. In fact, it is a rare day when someone does not post something about a pet on every kind of social media site. Dog and cat owners like to celebrate their pets’ birthdays and other events. From pictures of a dog looking longingly out a window as a mother duck and her ducklings parade by to the video of a cat chasing its tail with vigor, pet owners love to share the news of their favorite furry friends.
With the love that Americans have for their pets it should come as no surprise that these same animal and dog owners do their very best to make sure that their animals are healthy and well cared for. And while a well cared for animal in the past may have included a simple yearly visit to the vet, today’s pet owner expects a greater variety of options for making sure that their animal is well cared for. From puppy health insurance to daycare settings for animals while their human parents are at work, the mental and physical health care for animals is a thriving industry.
Health Care for Animals Is Available in a Number of Settings
Small animal care clinics offer a variety of services that pet owners both appreciate and come to expect. From the monthly trim and bath to the once a year shots that cats and dogs need, health care for animals can also include play dates for for pets as well as meet and greet sessions for owners to introduce their newest pets to friends and family. Some small animal clinics also offer holiday photo shoots for their customers who make regular appointments for their health care for animals.
Consider some of these facts, figures, and observations about people and their pets and the animal care industry:
- Listening to some people talk about their pets gives a glimpse into how important all kinds of animals are to their owners. From sharing photos of pets with friends and family to making sure that you leave the television on at home when you are away from work, pets are a constant part of many people’s lives.
- In the U.S. alone, $20.46 billion is spent on pet food every year.
- Kids are not the only ones who love to be greeted by the family pet when they return home, adults also like to see a happy pet when they return from work.
- Estimates show that Americans spend $13.59 billion on veterinary care every year. Additionally, $12.56 billion is spent on pet supplies and over-the-counter medicine every year.
- Finding the right veterinarian to care for your pet is no small decision. Most pet owners rely on recommendations from friends and family as well as online reviews to make the best choice for their animal.
- Approximately 37% to 47% of all households in the U.S. have a dog.
- Most pet owners care for their animals as if they are a member of the family. In fact, many pet owners give their cats and dogs birthday, as well as major holiday, gifts or treats.
- In the majority of situations, pets are obtained from acquaintances and family members. In the remaining cases, 28% of dogs are purchased from breeders, while 29% of cats and dogs are adopted from shelters and rescue agencies.
- Leaving a pet home alone while you are away at work for long days is not always the best situation for all kinds of pets. For this reason, many pet owners actually have someone come in and play with their pet during the day or take their pet to an animal day care setting instead.
- You should make a decision to be a responsible and caring pet owner when you get a family pet. Taking the time to get the best health care for animals and seeing that the dog or cat is well fed and exercised is an important responsibility of any pet owner.